Protecting yourself from harm in all forms is an essential step you have to take for better physical and mental wellbeing. In these uncertain times, besides protecting yourself from the sun and extreme weather conditions, it is crucial to step up and consider clothing that can protect you in unexpected life-threatening situations like a robbery, an accident, and even gun violence. Many people have jobs and work in situations where having extra protection will ultimately benefit them in the long run. For example, working under the sun might require high UPF clothing, or people involved in providing security services can benefit from bulletproof clothing. In this article, we will discuss several forms of protective clothing including sun protective clothing, and apparel for certain situations to let you choose the best clothing items according to the outdoor settings you are working at.
Sun Protective Clothing
With rising environmental pollution and high levels of UV exposure, considering sun protective clothing is essential to protect you from the sun’s harmful rays. Most manufacturers are now working on providing garments that have an ultraviolet protection factor. Clothes manufacturers use special chemicals and dyes that help absorb or repel ultraviolet rays coming from the sun. According to the regulations provided by relevant authorities, a garment can only be labeled as sun-protective when it has a UPF factor of at least 30. An average UPF rating falls between 15-25 whereas the premium ones can have an ultraviolet protection factor of above 50.
Factors Influencing Sun Protection
When choosing UPF clothing, you can consider the following factors as they will help you choose the best possible option.
- Dark-colored dyes are capable of better repelling UV radiation than lighter dyes.
- Prefer choosing garments woven with polyester, silk, or nylon instead of cotton, hemp, or rayon as their UPF rating is higher than the latter.
- Consider choosing non-stretchy garments.
There are several other factors such as weave, weight, and wetness of the fabric which can be reviewed to choose sun-protective clothing accordingly.
Simply put, protective clothing can ensure the safety of the wearer in certain hazardous situations and can turn out to be a life-saver. There is a misconception among many people that bulletproof clothing is only accessible to military or law enforcement. Anyone can consider a stylish-looking hoodie with the ability to prevent a knife injury or a gunshot wound. A variety of options are available when it comes to choosing protective clothing. Therefore, consider each option available, evaluate your requirements, and then decide to get the best protection possible.
Bulletproof Clothing Grades
Body protection clothes and body armor is divided into several grades which are set up by the National Institute of Justice. Protective clothing manufacturers prefer using ballistic fibers interwoven with strong and lightweight fabric to stop most close range of projectile injuries. Extra layers of protective materials can also be added to the clothing, depending on the requirements. There are five different levels of body protection that can stop different bullet impacts and sharp object injuries. Giving time to research and understand these types will help you make the right decision.
Camping is a great way to enjoy the serenity of nature and the outdoor environment. Camp clothing should be comfortable enough to let you explore the surroundings with ease while protecting you from extreme heat, cold, and related weather conditions. Here are 3 factors that can help you decide the perfect type of camp clothing.
- Thermoregulation is a natural process occurring in the body to maintain a constant body temperature. Clothes designed for camping have thermoregulatory capabilities that help the body to regulate temperature accordingly. Windproof and waterproof materials are combined in layers while ensuring the fabric is still breathable.
- The fabric is abrasion-resistant to several materials that allow protection to the body. The fabric thickness, the type of fabric, and its quality will determine the level of protection.
- The design of the clothing can have a huge impact on the activity performance. Like most outdoor activities, camping requires you to stay active and move around with ease while staying protected. Therefore, choosing a comfortable design is another factor to consider.
These were our mentions for everyday clothing that you can consider according to your requirements. Regardless of the level of danger, it is always best to stay protected as the odds of falling into an unexpected situation might be low but the consequences that follow can have negative effects on your health and wellbeing. Therefore, keep the outdoor activity and its environment in mind, and then research the types of protective clothes and relevant gear so that you pick the ones that provide you the ultimate protection.